Qualcomm‘s next flagship chipset is going to be Snapdragon 875, which Qualcomm might launch at the end of this year or at the beginning of the next year. It is confirmed that Qualcomm is going to build this chipset completely using a 5nm process(that means this chip will have 171.3 million transistors per square millimeter) for better performance and lesser power consumption.
This chipset will come with the new X60 5G modem-RF and Adreno 660 graphics processor. But it is not clear if the modem will be integrated or optional. So this means that the future flagship mobiles and gaming smartphones will be powered by this chipset. This upcoming chipset is codenamed SM8350, whereas the Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 was codenamed SM8250.
So, these are the expected specifications of the upcoming chipset according to 91mobiles.
- A Kryo 685 CPU built on Arm v8 Cortex tech
- 3G/ 4G/ 5G modem –Millimeter wave (mmWave) and sub-6 GHz bands. (5G either in-built or optional)
- GPU- Adreno 660
- VPU- Adreno 665
- DPU- Adreno 1095
- Qualcomm Secure Processing Unit (SPU250)
- Spectra 580 image-processing engine
- Snapdragon Sensors Core Technology
- External 802.11ax, 2×2 MIMO, and Bluetooth Milan
- Compute Hexagon DSP with Hexagon Vector eXtensions and Hexagon Tensor Accelerator
- Quad-channel package-on-package (PoP) high-speed LPDDR5 SDRAM
- Low-power audio subsystem combined with Aqstic Audio Technologies WCD9380 and WCD9385 audio codec
We are not sure what kind of improvements will the new 5nm process will bring in, but we can expect that this new chipset will help in reducing the power drawn by various applications. It will also improve performance by 20 to 30 percent. They will be manufacturing this chipset in TSMC, Taiwan.
By now, Qualcomm would have run tests on their new chipset behind the closed doors, when we get any other new information regarding this new chipset, we will update you guys as soon as we can. Till then keep in touch and stay updated!